Los Angeles News
Bob Hope Airport gets new transportation hub
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- It's not easy getting to and from the airport in Southern California. But that task was made a little bit easier Friday when ground was broken on a new transportation center in Burbank, directly across from the Bob Hope Airport train station.
Officials say the new transportation hub will connect people directly from the airport to trains, buses, rental cars and will even have a place for bicycles.
"As the freeways have clogged more and more, the need for alternative transportation has expanded, so what's happened is what you're seeing here today, is really driven by need," said Dan Feger, executive director of the airport. "The need has said, you can't just get in your car and drive to the airport anymore."
It's the largest capital project in the airport's history, with a price tag of $112.6 million. Officials say construction will take two years to complete.
The transportation center will house rental car companies and a bus transit facility. It will be the only direct airport rail connection in Southern California, connecting passengers with Metrolink and Amtrak service.
"Airports have woken up to the fact that they're more than just a place to get on an airplane, and that they have impact that's region-wide," said Feger.
And officials say not only will it be more convenient for passengers, but it will also cut down on local traffic and improve air quality. The construction is expected to provide 600 jobs.
airport news, construction, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 10 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 55 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
45 min ago