Los Angeles News
Bob Hope Airport gets new transportation hub
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- It's not easy getting to and from the airport in Southern California. But that task was made a little bit easier Friday when ground was broken on a new transportation center in Burbank, directly across from the Bob Hope Airport train station.
Officials say the new transportation hub will connect people directly from the airport to trains, buses, rental cars and will even have a place for bicycles.
"As the freeways have clogged more and more, the need for alternative transportation has expanded, so what's happened is what you're seeing here today, is really driven by need," said Dan Feger, executive director of the airport. "The need has said, you can't just get in your car and drive to the airport anymore."
It's the largest capital project in the airport's history, with a price tag of $112.6 million. Officials say construction will take two years to complete.
The transportation center will house rental car companies and a bus transit facility. It will be the only direct airport rail connection in Southern California, connecting passengers with Metrolink and Amtrak service.
"Airports have woken up to the fact that they're more than just a place to get on an airplane, and that they have impact that's region-wide," said Feger.
And officials say not only will it be more convenient for passengers, but it will also cut down on local traffic and improve air quality. The construction is expected to provide 600 jobs.
airport news, construction, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 9 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 2 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 35 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 57 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- New technology monitors pet fitness
20 min ago