Los Angeles News
San Fernando councilmembers file restraining orders against each other
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (KABC) -- Two members of the San Fernando City Council who had a publicized affair have taken out restraining orders against each other.
Councilmembers Mario Hernandez and Maribel de la Torre filed the paperwork following an alleged physical confrontation June 28. A police report states an officer responding to a call at Hernandez's home found the residence had been ransacked and noticed red marks and scratches on the councilman's neck. A laptop had been smashed and he was reported to be visibly injured to the investigating police officer.
Hernandez and de la Torre are now under court orders to stay 100 yards away from each other, which could prove problematic at next week's City Council meeting.
It was just last fall that a married Hernandez, who was then acting as mayor, publicly admitted at a City Council meeting to having an affair with de la Torre. His wife was in the audience.
Hernandez said in a statement Saturday that "the only thing I will say is I have never raised my hand against her at any time, nor any other woman in my entire life.
"Those that mock this private issue, shame on them, because domestic violence is not a laughing matter," he said.
De la Torre sent out an email saying, "words cannot begin to express how saddened I am over the events of the past several days."
Along with them, San Fernando Mayor Brenda Esqueda reportedly had a romantic relationship with a police sergeant.
All three are facing recall elections in the fall.
The San Fernando City Hall romances unraveled at contentious council meetings last November.
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 54 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 41 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 46 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors