Los Angeles News
Dr. Lisa Tseng's arraignment hearing delayed in patient deaths trial
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An arraignment hearing for a Rowland Heights doctor charged with murder was delayed on Tuesday morning.
Dr. Lisa Tseng faces 24 felony charges, including three second-degree murder charges in the deaths of three patients in 2009. The arraignment was delayed until Aug. 7.
Prosecutors accuse Tseng of overprescribing drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, Xanax and Valium to make a profit. The Drug Enforcement Administration alleges she wrote more than 27,000 prescriptions at her medical clinic within a three-year period at a rate of 25 per day with minimal questions.
In 2008, Tseng came under scrutiny when a pharmacy reported problems with her prescriptions. The prosecution also says she settled five wrongful death suits going back to 2007, yet kept prescribing the powerful drugs.
Tseng's attorneys claim her patients hid their motives. They say they mixed their meds, ignored warning labels and in multiple cases crushed and snorted pills and combined them with alcohol and street drugs. They also added that Tseng cares very deeply for her patients and looks forward to her "opportunity to vindicate herself in court."
Tseng maintains she is innocent. If convicted, she could face 45 years in prison.
fraud, legal, health care, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 15 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk 46 min ago
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 48 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 39 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'