Los Angeles News
San Fernando Councilwoman Maribel De La Torre charged with vandalism, battery
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (KABC) -- San Fernando Councilwoman Maribel De La Torre is being charged with vandalism and battery stemming from an apparent lovers' quarrel with former Councilman Mario Hernandez.
In charging documents Friday, Los Angeles County prosecutors accuse De La Torre of destroying a laptop computer and picture frame in a fight with Hernandez, who resigned after their scandalous affair and ugly breakup. De La Torre allegedly caused about $400 worth of damage in that June 28 fight with Hernandez, who is identified only as "Mario H." in the charging document.
If convicted on both those misdemeanor charges, De La Torre could face up to two years behind bars and a $3,000 fine.
The two took out mutual restraining orders against each other after the confrontation.
Their messy affair has been public since November when Hernandez, who was acting as mayor, publicly admitted at a City Council meeting that they were romantically involved. His wife was in the audience.
Hernandez resigned before Tuesday's City Council meeting.
De La Torre faces a recall election, as does Mayor Brenda Esqueda, who was accused of being romantically involved with a city police sergeant.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 4 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 10 min ago
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones 45 min ago
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 1 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
18 min ago