Los Angeles News
Man arrested for murder of estranged wife in Walnut Park
WALNUT PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was arrested for allegedly shooting and killing his estranged wife Sunday night in Walnut Park, officials said.
According to investigators, the shooting occurred around 8 p.m. while the couple's two children were nearby inside their home in the 2800 block of Olive Street. At least 10 other people were inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Officials said the couple was arguing over the custody of their 11-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter when the suspect, 34-year-old Julio Ramon Solano, allegedly took out a gun and shot the woman in the upper torso. She was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Solano initially fled, but he returned to the scene around 3 a.m. Monday and was arrested for the shooting.
Evelyn Tinoco, a witness, said she heard about three gunshots and rushed outside. She saw the woman stumble onto the street and collapse.
"The cops got here right away," said Tinoco. "That's really sad. I could imagine how hard it's going to be for their kids."
The children were not hurt. They were taken into the custody of the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services.
Homicide detectives had Olive Street shut down for more than 12 hours, piecing the crime together. They brought in a K9 unit to sniff out clues and look for the murder weapon.
murder, shooting, los angeles news, q mccray
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 13 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 45 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 34 min ago
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler