Los Angeles News
Martial artists help capture Long Beach robbery suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A jewelry store heist in Long Beach was foiled on Monday by bystanders who happened to be in town for a martial arts convention.
Authorities responded to the robbery call at the business in the 1200 block of East Anaheim Street in an area known as Cambodia Town at 11:48 a.m. Police say a gunman walked in and confronted the owner.
The victim struggled with the armed suspect, and during the scuffle, the suspect's gun went off. No one was hit, but the owner was injured in the confrontation.
Two bystanders, who were at a restaurant next door, heard the commotion and ran over. The men were in town from Boston for a martial arts convention.
Seiha Hak said he chased after some of the suspects, but they fled in a car. Then he heard a woman screaming that another suspect was still inside the store.
"So I took him down ... and then my master right here came in and kicked the gun away," he said.
The business owner and the suspect were taken to a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Long Beach police say it is not yet clear if there were any outstanding suspects.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to call the Long Beach Police Department at (562) 570-7464.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly spelled Seiha Hak's first name. We apologize for the error.
shooting, robbery, long beach, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy 24 min ago
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Coyotes search for water in IE communities
57 min ago