Los Angeles News
Martial artists help capture Long Beach robbery suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A jewelry store heist in Long Beach was foiled on Monday by bystanders who happened to be in town for a martial arts convention.
Authorities responded to the robbery call at the business in the 1200 block of East Anaheim Street in an area known as Cambodia Town at 11:48 a.m. Police say a gunman walked in and confronted the owner.
The victim struggled with the armed suspect, and during the scuffle, the suspect's gun went off. No one was hit, but the owner was injured in the confrontation.
Two bystanders, who were at a restaurant next door, heard the commotion and ran over. The men were in town from Boston for a martial arts convention.
Seiha Hak said he chased after some of the suspects, but they fled in a car. Then he heard a woman screaming that another suspect was still inside the store.
"So I took him down ... and then my master right here came in and kicked the gun away," he said.
The business owner and the suspect were taken to a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Long Beach police say it is not yet clear if there were any outstanding suspects.
Anyone with information about the incident is urged to call the Long Beach Police Department at (562) 570-7464.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly spelled Seiha Hak's first name. We apologize for the error.
shooting, robbery, long beach, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 12 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 3 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2