Los Angeles News
Santa Monica hit-run kills 1; suspect sought
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Police in Santa Monica are trying to track down a hit-and-run driver who killed a woman as she crossed the street.
Claire Rose's family members, friends and boyfriend of six years gathered for a candlelight vigil Tuesday night.
"She's just like the most beautiful person in every way. She just made my life more full of joy," said friend Tanya Porter.
On Sunday night, Rose left the apartment she shared with her boyfriend to buy a pack of cigarettes, but she never made it across the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and 21st Street.
"This isn't right. It's so unfair that her life in a moment should've been taken. She just got to her 30th birthday, and that's it," said her boyfriend's mother, Cecilia Rasmussen.
The accident happened just after midnight, about 15 minutes into Rose's 30th birthday. Police said a car traveling westbound didn't stop at the crosswalk. A witness followed the driver north on 15th Street and then west on California Avenue, but lost track of the car.
Authorities said the car was a charcoal gray or black Toyota or similar sedan. It should have front-end damage. Rose's loved ones have posted flyers in the area to let residents know about the hit-and-run and to give them the vehicle description. They also plan to contact local body shops where the driver could try to get the car repaired.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Santa Monica Police Department at (310) 458-8451.
hit and run, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 45 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 41 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 10 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour