Los Angeles News
Santa Monica hit-run kills 1; suspect sought
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Police in Santa Monica are trying to track down a hit-and-run driver who killed a woman as she crossed the street.
Claire Rose's family members, friends and boyfriend of six years gathered for a candlelight vigil Tuesday night.
"She's just like the most beautiful person in every way. She just made my life more full of joy," said friend Tanya Porter.
On Sunday night, Rose left the apartment she shared with her boyfriend to buy a pack of cigarettes, but she never made it across the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and 21st Street.
"This isn't right. It's so unfair that her life in a moment should've been taken. She just got to her 30th birthday, and that's it," said her boyfriend's mother, Cecilia Rasmussen.
The accident happened just after midnight, about 15 minutes into Rose's 30th birthday. Police said a car traveling westbound didn't stop at the crosswalk. A witness followed the driver north on 15th Street and then west on California Avenue, but lost track of the car.
Authorities said the car was a charcoal gray or black Toyota or similar sedan. It should have front-end damage. Rose's loved ones have posted flyers in the area to let residents know about the hit-and-run and to give them the vehicle description. They also plan to contact local body shops where the driver could try to get the car repaired.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Santa Monica Police Department at (310) 458-8451.
hit and run, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours 59 min ago
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors