Los Angeles News
Compton considers bankruptcy amid money woes
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- First it was San Bernardino. Now, the city of Compton is looking at the possibility of filing for bankruptcy.
Though nothing has been decided for certain yet, Compton's city treasurer told the City Council Tuesday night that the city may need to start considering or at least discussing the option of bankruptcy, because the city currently does not have enough money in its bank account to pay all of its bills next month.
The city is looking at a $43 million deficit, which is quite a substantial number for a city of about 93,000 people. But a decision to file for bankruptcy is not one to be taken lightly, even though San Bernardino did just shock residents with its seemingly snap decision to do so.
The other two California cities that filed for bankruptcy this month took much longer to consider their decisions.
Compton's mayor is reportedly more optimistic than its financial staff that the city can avoid bankruptcy, but at Tuesday's City Council meeting, which was broadcast over the Web, the city's treasurer outlined the financial reality that he and the city are looking at.
"So now, we're at some very critical issues," said Compton City Treasurer Douglas Sanders. "By Aug. 1, y'all need to decide what's going to happen. Make the bond payments, default on them or go into bankruptcy."
According to Reuters, unemployment is worse in Compton than it is in San Bernardino. Compton is also facing a sharp decline in property taxes as a result of all the home foreclosures.
los angeles news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 34 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
49 min ago