Los Angeles News
Compton considers bankruptcy amid money woes
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- First it was San Bernardino. Now, the city of Compton is looking at the possibility of filing for bankruptcy.
Though nothing has been decided for certain yet, Compton's city treasurer told the City Council Tuesday night that the city may need to start considering or at least discussing the option of bankruptcy, because the city currently does not have enough money in its bank account to pay all of its bills next month.
The city is looking at a $43 million deficit, which is quite a substantial number for a city of about 93,000 people. But a decision to file for bankruptcy is not one to be taken lightly, even though San Bernardino did just shock residents with its seemingly snap decision to do so.
The other two California cities that filed for bankruptcy this month took much longer to consider their decisions.
Compton's mayor is reportedly more optimistic than its financial staff that the city can avoid bankruptcy, but at Tuesday's City Council meeting, which was broadcast over the Web, the city's treasurer outlined the financial reality that he and the city are looking at.
"So now, we're at some very critical issues," said Compton City Treasurer Douglas Sanders. "By Aug. 1, y'all need to decide what's going to happen. Make the bond payments, default on them or go into bankruptcy."
According to Reuters, unemployment is worse in Compton than it is in San Bernardino. Compton is also facing a sharp decline in property taxes as a result of all the home foreclosures.
los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 41 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 4 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 22 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 45 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video