Los Angeles News
Suspects in USC student killings plead not guilty
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The men charged in the deaths of two University of Southern California students have pleaded not guilty to murder charges.
Bryan Barnes, 20, and Javier Bolden, 19, are accused of shooting Ying Wu and Ming Qu April 11 during what's believed to be a botched robbery.
The two engineering international graduate students were sitting in a BMW about a mile from campus in the West Adams District when they were shot and killed.
Police say shell casings tie Barnes and Bolden to the shootings, as well as other crimes committed in the area.
The case has attracted a lot of attention in China and has raised questions about the safety of the neighborhoods around the USC campus.
In court Wednesday, friends of the victims said they miss the two students, but they also had some sympathy for the suspects' families.
Friend Julia Liu said the suspects' parents may lose their sons as well, and that makes it hard for everyone involved.
"It's going to be sad for four families," Liu said.
Both men were ordered to return to court Sept. 20 for a hearing to determine a date for a preliminary hearing. They are being held without bail. They could face the death penalty if convicted.
Wu and Qu's parents have filed a lawsuit against USC, claiming the school made false claims about safety. The lawsuit accuses the university of hiding behind the word "urban" in its online application form and not saying the school is in a high-crime residential area.
shooting, school, legal, los angeles news, john gregory
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- 'Sexting' case at IE schools nets teen arrest
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Plane lands on belly after having gear issues 29 min ago
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list