Los Angeles News
James Holmes, Aurora shooting suspect, was Camp Max Straus counselor
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- James Holmes, the suspected gunman in the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting, was a counselor at Camp Max Straus in Glendale, the camp confirmed to Eyewitness News Saturday.
Holmes was a cabin counselor in the summer of 2008. According to the statement, he was responsible for overseeing "the care and guidance" a group of about 10 children.
"His role was to insure that these children had a wonderful camp experience by helping them learn confidence, self esteem and how to work in small teams to effect positive outcomes," the statement said.
Camp Max Straus is a nonsectarian program for children ages 7-14, run by Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles.
In the statement, Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles CEO Randy Schwab expressed his sorrow:
"It is with shock and sorrow that we learned of the incident in Aurora. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families and friends of those involved in this horrible tragedy. On behalf of Camp Max Straus I want to offer our deepest sympathies and condolences."
Schwab did not speak on camera to Eyewitness News, nor was anybody at the camp authorized to speak on camera.
shooting, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Fast food workers protest, demand $15 an hour 2 min ago
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner 33 min ago
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple 22 min ago
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 47 min ago
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' official trailer
- Holiday headache triggers to watch out for
22 min ago