Los Angeles News
LAX terminal construction: New phase creates traffic issues
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KABC) -- Officials at Los Angeles International Airport expect severe traffic backups as a new round of renovations began Monday at Bradley International Terminal.
The departure level curbside lane, between the international terminal and terminal four was shut down for a renovation project.
As part of the initial phase of a $23.5 million project, crews will replace the glass canopies in front of the terminal with new awnings to match the façade of the new international terminal now being built.
Work is expected to continue until next spring.
"We're modernizing the airport and making it better for all of our travelers, and it will be worth the wait," said LAX Spokesman Albert Rodriguez.
Additional lane closures related to the $438 million Central Utility Plant Replacement Project will continue. Curbside lanes between Terminal 3 and the Bradley Terminal will be closed on both the departure and arrival levels.
The airport is replacing its 50-year-old power plant with a modern facility including new computerized management systems. The new power generator will provide heating, cooling and electricity to the nine terminals and other buildings at LAX.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles international airport, train accident, los angeles news, rob hayes
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 5 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 37 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 26 min ago
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler