Los Angeles News
El Monte standoff ends; suspect in custody
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- El Monte SWAT evacuated about 40 to 80 people from an apartment building due to a barricade situation Thursday night.
A man was holed up inside his apartment since about 4:25 p.m. near the intersection of Ramona Boulevard and Peck Road. Police said early Friday morning that the suspect was taken into custody and transported to a hospital, but they did not immediately give any details. Officials said they were clearing the scene to let residents return to their homes.
At one point during the long standoff, the man set a fire inside his apartment and extinguished it himself. He then opened his doors and windows to let the smoke out.
According to investigators, police were called to the scene after the manager of the apartment said the suspect was acting strangely. The manager overheard him getting into a verbal dispute with a family member.
los angeles news
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 39 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'