Los Angeles News
Charges against UC regents dropped in lab death
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge has dismissed criminal charges against the regents of the University of California in connection with a deadly lab fire at UCLA four years ago.
A judge approved a deal dropping felony charges that the regents violated occupational health and safety standards. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office says the regents agreed to take corrective safety measures and to establish a $500,000 scholarship at UC Berkeley in the name of the research assistant who died.
A school professor is still facing criminal charges.
In 2008, research assistant Sheri Sangji, 23, died after being severely burned when a lab experiment burst into flames. Authorities say Sangji wasn't wearing a lab coat when a flammable chemical spilled and caught fire. Sangji was working for Patrick Harran, a highly-recruited, hard-charging professor in the chemistry department.
Investigators from the state Occupational Health And Safety Agency (Cal OSHA) questioned Harran and determined that Sangji had not been taught how to work safely with the dangerous chemical she used that day.
The university has paid Cal OSHA fines related to the Sangji accident, and for other violations they uncovered. UCLA is contesting another fine for not reporting a previous lab accident that seriously burned a graduate student.
Harran is due back in court on Sept. 5. He faces three counts of willfully violating occupational health and safety standards causing the student's death. It's the first time a professor in the United States has been charged with a felony for the workplace death of an employee.
If convicted, Harran faces up to 4.5 years in prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
ucla, legal, court case, los angeles news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 48 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 34 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
21 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
40 min ago