Los Angeles News
Teen collapses, dies after sparring at Burbank boxing gym
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- A 16-year-old boy collapsed and died at a hospital after sparring at a boxing gym in Burbank, police said.
The boy had been at Pullmans Gym on Magnolia Boulevard Thursday when he complained of pain from "light sparring," said Burbank police. After arriving at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center shortly before 7 p.m., authorities say the boy lost consciousness. Medical personnel tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead within an hour.
Investigators said the teen and his sparring partner were both wearing regulation boxing gloves and protective headgear. Police say they don't suspect criminal activity at this time.
The teen's name was not immediately released.
A note in a window at the gym says it will be closed for the next few days.
The Los Angeles Coroner's Office and the Burbank Police Department are investigating the cause of death. The coroner will conduct an autopsy and check to see if the teen had any pre-existing medical conditions that could have contributed to his death.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
burbank, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross 4 min ago
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews