Los Angeles News
Teen collapses, dies after sparring at Burbank boxing gym
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- A 16-year-old boy collapsed and died at a hospital after sparring at a boxing gym in Burbank, police said.
The boy had been at Pullmans Gym on Magnolia Boulevard Thursday when he complained of pain from "light sparring," said Burbank police. After arriving at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center shortly before 7 p.m., authorities say the boy lost consciousness. Medical personnel tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead within an hour.
Investigators said the teen and his sparring partner were both wearing regulation boxing gloves and protective headgear. Police say they don't suspect criminal activity at this time.
The teen's name was not immediately released.
A note in a window at the gym says it will be closed for the next few days.
The Los Angeles Coroner's Office and the Burbank Police Department are investigating the cause of death. The coroner will conduct an autopsy and check to see if the teen had any pre-existing medical conditions that could have contributed to his death.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
burbank, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 12 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks