Los Angeles News
Munich Olympic massacre victims remembered in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The victims of the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre were remembered in Los Angeles.
A ceremony held at the Los Angeles Coliseum paid tribute to the 11 Israeli athletes and coaches killed by Palestinian terrorists.
Israeli officials and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had requested a moment of silence at Friday night's opening ceremonies, but the request was denied by the head of the International Olympic Committee.
"Our 11 fallen heroes were murdered on Olympic grounds and they should be commemorated on Olympic grounds," said David Siegel, the Consul General of Israel.
A group called the British Israel Coalition held a memorial at London's Trafalgar Square. Its organizer said he hoped the victims would be remembered at future Olympic games.
los angeles news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 16 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 46 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 6 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 35 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
26 min ago
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports