Los Angeles News
Munich Olympic massacre victims remembered in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The victims of the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre were remembered in Los Angeles.
A ceremony held at the Los Angeles Coliseum paid tribute to the 11 Israeli athletes and coaches killed by Palestinian terrorists.
Israeli officials and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had requested a moment of silence at Friday night's opening ceremonies, but the request was denied by the head of the International Olympic Committee.
"Our 11 fallen heroes were murdered on Olympic grounds and they should be commemorated on Olympic grounds," said David Siegel, the Consul General of Israel.
A group called the British Israel Coalition held a memorial at London's Trafalgar Square. Its organizer said he hoped the victims would be remembered at future Olympic games.
los angeles news
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 7 min ago
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend 24 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
38 min ago
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports