Los Angeles News
Westmont pedestrian struck by 2 cars, killed
WESTMONT, Calif. (KABC) -- A pedestrian in the Westmont area was killed after she was struck by two cars while crossing the street.
The incident, described by authorities as highly unusual, happened just after 9 p.m. Saturday on Western Avenue near 108th Street.
The victim was identified by California Highway Patrol officials as 28-year-old Alexis Brooks. According to family members, Brooks was walking back home from the corner store with some snacks for her children when she was struck.
According to investigators, Brooks was crossing the street when she was hit by one car, then thrown into another car traveling in the opposite direction. The driver of the first car that made the initial impact, identified as 37-year-old Keetha Knox, got out of her car after the crash. That's when one of Brooks' acquaintances pulled out a gun and started firing at Knox. Fearing for her life, Knox then got back into her car and left the scene of the accident and went home, where she dialed 911.
Investigators say they have other witnesses who called in and substantiated Knox's description of events. Authorities also spoke with the driver of the second car. That driver and Knox were not charged with anything, but Brooks' family members still feel Knox should be held accountable for what happened and want justice.
"She was a good friend. She was like my sister, like my cousin. We grew up with each other. She had three kids, 9, 4 and 3, and she was just a good person," said Shakela Willis.
Meantime, authorities are searching for that shooter. A description was not available, but if you have information that could help investigators, you're urged to call the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at (323) 820-6700.
car crash, shooting, los angeles news, q mccray
- Charges announced against sheriff's officials 58 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 20 min ago
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank 48 min ago
- Pomona gang member arrested for murder
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke