Los Angeles News
Commerce hit-and-run suspect surrenders to police
COMMERCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A hit-and-run suspect who left a man dead in Commerce is now behind bars after he surrendered to police.
Police say Hugo Chavez, 21, of Bell, was driving a truck that struck and killed 19-year-old Jose Mendoza Torres on Thursday.
Investigators don't know exactly how the accident happened, but say it was in an area known for street racing.
Chavez will be arraigned on Tuesday.
hit and run, los angeles news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 48 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 10 min ago
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested 14 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)