Los Angeles News
Hollywood severed head investigation: $50K reward offered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A $50,000 reward is being offered in the murder of a 66-year-old man whose severed head was found in the Hollywood Hills.
The L.A. City Council approved the reward Tuesday. Police and the city council hope it will bring more clues in the case.
"This is what the council does. Taking advice from the detectives, they come forth and say, 'Please issue a request for a reward,'" said Councilman Tom LaBonge. "And hopefully someone will come out, because it was a horrible crime. And if this person is out and did such a crime, they would more than likely do this again."
In January, two women hiking in the Bronson Canyon area of Griffith Park found Hervey Medellin's head in a plastic bag near Canyon Drive. The next day, detectives using search dogs found two hands and two feet in a shallow grave nearby.
Medellin was a former Mexicana Airlines employee who lived in Hollywood. Police searched his apartment at De Longpre Avenue, but didn't make any arrests.
Residents said Medellin had a roommate. A few days before the gruesome discovery, they said they heard a commotion and Medellin was not seen again.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call the LAPD at 1-877-LAPD-24-7. All tips can be made anonymously.
homicide investigation, body part found, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Brush fire burning near Gorman 8 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)