Los Angeles News
60 Freeway reopens after pursuit investigation
LA PUENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- The westbound 60 Freeway was reopened at Hacienda Boulevard on Saturday evening after an investigation into a shooting.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the pursuit began in Riverside County after Riverside Sheriff's spotted a Range Rover that had been involved in a prior carjacking.
The chase traveled through San Bernardino and eventually entered L.A. County. As the suspect was driving on the West 60 Freeway, he opened fire on CHP officers.
According to CHP Sgt. Steve Licon, the suspect struck two patrol cars and a third shot was missed. One bullet pierced through the fuel tank of one patrol car and a second ricocheted off the hood of another patrol car. No officers were hit. The officers reportedly did not return fire.
The suspect refused to cooperate with officers until he ran out of gas. The suspect then exited the vehicle and was taken into custody without incident. He was transported to the hospital after complaining of chest pain.
The freeway closure is expected to last for several hours as authorities investigate the scene and search for shell casings. The closure stretches from Hacienda Boulevard to Azusa Avenue. Eastbound lanes of the freeway are open.
officer-involved shooting, california highway patrol, road closure, los angeles news, amy powell
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 11 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 20 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 46 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds