Los Angeles News
60 Freeway reopens after pursuit investigation
LA PUENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- The westbound 60 Freeway was reopened at Hacienda Boulevard on Saturday evening after an investigation into a shooting.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the pursuit began in Riverside County after Riverside Sheriff's spotted a Range Rover that had been involved in a prior carjacking.
The chase traveled through San Bernardino and eventually entered L.A. County. As the suspect was driving on the West 60 Freeway, he opened fire on CHP officers.
According to CHP Sgt. Steve Licon, the suspect struck two patrol cars and a third shot was missed. One bullet pierced through the fuel tank of one patrol car and a second ricocheted off the hood of another patrol car. No officers were hit. The officers reportedly did not return fire.
The suspect refused to cooperate with officers until he ran out of gas. The suspect then exited the vehicle and was taken into custody without incident. He was transported to the hospital after complaining of chest pain.
The freeway closure is expected to last for several hours as authorities investigate the scene and search for shell casings. The closure stretches from Hacienda Boulevard to Azusa Avenue. Eastbound lanes of the freeway are open.
officer-involved shooting, california highway patrol, road closure, los angeles news, amy powell
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 21 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 37 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 17 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 32 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2