Los Angeles News
60 Freeway reopens after pursuit investigation
LA PUENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- The westbound 60 Freeway was reopened at Hacienda Boulevard on Saturday evening after an investigation into a shooting.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the pursuit began in Riverside County after Riverside Sheriff's spotted a Range Rover that had been involved in a prior carjacking.
The chase traveled through San Bernardino and eventually entered L.A. County. As the suspect was driving on the West 60 Freeway, he opened fire on CHP officers.
According to CHP Sgt. Steve Licon, the suspect struck two patrol cars and a third shot was missed. One bullet pierced through the fuel tank of one patrol car and a second ricocheted off the hood of another patrol car. No officers were hit. The officers reportedly did not return fire.
The suspect refused to cooperate with officers until he ran out of gas. The suspect then exited the vehicle and was taken into custody without incident. He was transported to the hospital after complaining of chest pain.
The freeway closure is expected to last for several hours as authorities investigate the scene and search for shell casings. The closure stretches from Hacienda Boulevard to Azusa Avenue. Eastbound lanes of the freeway are open.
officer-involved shooting, california highway patrol, road closure, los angeles news, amy powell
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- AEG Live spent $24M on Michael Jackson tour
41 min ago
- Pet of the week: 2-month-old Chihuahua-mix
26 min ago