Los Angeles News
Burglars smash through roof of Sylmar store
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Security cameras caught a group of burglars as they broke through the roof of a liquor store in Sylmar, stealing cash, cigarettes and alcohol.
Police say three men smashed through the roof at the Country Cousins Liquor on Glenoaks Boulevard with cinder blocks on Aug. 1 just after 4 a.m. Store owner George Alhosry was ready, even if this was the first break-in in the 23 years that he's owned the store. His store was equipped with about 30 security cameras.
"We have special cameras on the countertop in case somebody has a hoodie or a hat, we can catch from the bottom up," he said.
The cameras did catch a clear picture of one suspect, and he's seen chewing on his sweatshirt during the burglary. Then he left the sweatshirt behind. Police plan on sampling it for DNA.
"I guess because he got so overheated, he took the hoodie off and he left it behind at the liquor store," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon.
DNA tests will take six to eight months, and by then, the burglars could strike numerous other stores. Police are hoping someone recognizes the suspects.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crimestoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
It was earlier reported that the burglary was in Pacoima, but police now say it was in Sylmar.
burglary, caught on tape, los angeles news, john hartung
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 18 min ago
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments