Los Angeles News
Burglars smash through roof of Sylmar store
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Security cameras caught a group of burglars as they broke through the roof of a liquor store in Sylmar, stealing cash, cigarettes and alcohol.
Police say three men smashed through the roof at the Country Cousins Liquor on Glenoaks Boulevard with cinder blocks on Aug. 1 just after 4 a.m. Store owner George Alhosry was ready, even if this was the first break-in in the 23 years that he's owned the store. His store was equipped with about 30 security cameras.
"We have special cameras on the countertop in case somebody has a hoodie or a hat, we can catch from the bottom up," he said.
The cameras did catch a clear picture of one suspect, and he's seen chewing on his sweatshirt during the burglary. Then he left the sweatshirt behind. Police plan on sampling it for DNA.
"I guess because he got so overheated, he took the hoodie off and he left it behind at the liquor store," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon.
DNA tests will take six to eight months, and by then, the burglars could strike numerous other stores. Police are hoping someone recognizes the suspects.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crimestoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
It was earlier reported that the burglary was in Pacoima, but police now say it was in Sylmar.
burglary, caught on tape, los angeles news, john hartung
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian 51 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Alcohol sting busts adults buying for minors 35 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- High turnout seen at secession vote in Crimea 18 min ago
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report