Los Angeles News
Long Beach priest accused of sexual assault scheduled for Tuesday preliminary hearing
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A Long Beach Catholic priest accused of inappropriate behavior with three church members was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.
Father Luis Jose Cuevas was arrested in July after two women filed a police report accusing the 67-year-old of sexual battery. A 17-year-old female then came forward claiming she also was inappropriately touched by Cuevas.
The district attorney filed eight misdemeanor charges in July against Cuevas and one felony count involving lewd acts with a child.
Through his attorney, Father Jose Luis Cuevas entered a plea of not guilty July 25 in a Long Beach courtroom overflowing with supporters of Cuevas.
Cuevas worked at St. Athanasius Catholic Church at 5390 Linden Avenue in Long Beach. He is no longer employed there.
Cuevas served at the Long Beach parish for the past seven years, according to police. He resided on church grounds during his time there.
long beach, arrest, sexual assault, sex crimes, los angeles news
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 37 dead 15 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery 11 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX 34 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Fire near Frazier Park 90 percent contained
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013