Los Angeles News
Long Beach priest accused of sexual assault scheduled for Tuesday preliminary hearing
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A Long Beach Catholic priest accused of inappropriate behavior with three church members was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.
Father Luis Jose Cuevas was arrested in July after two women filed a police report accusing the 67-year-old of sexual battery. A 17-year-old female then came forward claiming she also was inappropriately touched by Cuevas.
The district attorney filed eight misdemeanor charges in July against Cuevas and one felony count involving lewd acts with a child.
Through his attorney, Father Jose Luis Cuevas entered a plea of not guilty July 25 in a Long Beach courtroom overflowing with supporters of Cuevas.
Cuevas worked at St. Athanasius Catholic Church at 5390 Linden Avenue in Long Beach. He is no longer employed there.
Cuevas served at the Long Beach parish for the past seven years, according to police. He resided on church grounds during his time there.
long beach, arrest, sexual assault, sex crimes, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 24 min ago
- IE domestic violence murder suspect at large 17 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 9 min ago
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- UCSB meningitis: Fund for amputee student
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: Benedict Cumberbatch recites R. Kelly lyrics