Los Angeles News
Long Beach priest accused of sexual assault scheduled for Tuesday preliminary hearing
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A Long Beach Catholic priest accused of inappropriate behavior with three church members was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.
Father Luis Jose Cuevas was arrested in July after two women filed a police report accusing the 67-year-old of sexual battery. A 17-year-old female then came forward claiming she also was inappropriately touched by Cuevas.
The district attorney filed eight misdemeanor charges in July against Cuevas and one felony count involving lewd acts with a child.
Through his attorney, Father Jose Luis Cuevas entered a plea of not guilty July 25 in a Long Beach courtroom overflowing with supporters of Cuevas.
Cuevas worked at St. Athanasius Catholic Church at 5390 Linden Avenue in Long Beach. He is no longer employed there.
Cuevas served at the Long Beach parish for the past seven years, according to police. He resided on church grounds during his time there.
long beach, arrest, sexual assault, sex crimes, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts 45 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet 33 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival 1 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report