Los Angeles News
Shuttle Endeavour Los Angeles route unveiled
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- We now know the space shuttle Endeavour's route from Los Angeles International Airport to its new home at the California Science Center. The announcement comes after millions of dollars in donations, meticulous logistical planning and a lot of excitement.
Getting the shuttle from point A to point B is no easy feat. The cities of Inglewood and L.A. will have to tear down trees, wires and anything else in its way, and close down streets. For every tree that comes down, two more will be planted.
"It's an international treasure. It's something that's been in space 25 times. It's done incredible missions. We want people to be able to celebrate and see it and enjoy it," said Jeffrey Rudolph, California Science Center president and CEO.
The shuttle will be transported from Kennedy Space Center in Florida to LAX on top of NASA's Boeing 747 shuttle-carrier aircraft. It's set to arrive on September 20. It will eventually be moved to Inglewood City Hall for an official launch ceremony on October 13.
"Obviously, the biggest component is going to be the crowd control, crowd management component. Everybody wants to see the shuttle," said Aram Sahakian, Los Angeles Department of Transportation.
Endeavour will then make its final stop at the California Science Center two days later. It will be the only time a space shuttle will travel through 12 miles of urban public streets. And it will hopefully inspire future generations at its permanent home at Exposition Park.
Endeavour will be open to the public here at the California Science Center starting October 30.
nasa, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves 41 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordinance scare prompts evacuations 34 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break