Los Angeles News
Compost spontaneously combusts in Reseda, sparking 3 house fires
RESEDA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A home compost pile spontaneously combusted into flames in a plastic container in Reseda Wednesday, according to the L.A. City Fire Dept.
The department said 105-degree heat caused the compost to burst into flame at a residence on the 17300 block of Marlin Place at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday.
An ember from the fire floated at least 200 feet away and ignited a wood-shingle roof on a separate residence. That fire spread to two more houses, causing damage totaling $76,000.
More than 36 firefighters extinguished the fires.
No injuries were reported.
City News Service contributed to this report.
fire, san fernando valley, los angeles news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 21 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 28 min ago