Los Angeles News
Plane crash in Westwood neighborhood kills 1
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A small plane crashed in a residential neighborhood in Westwood early Friday evening. One person was reported dead at the scene.
After departing from Santa Monica Airport, the pilot of the single-engine plane declared an emergency for unknown reasons around 6:10 p.m., according to a Federal Aviation Administration Western-Pacific Region official.
The plane was heading back to the airport when it crashed about 2 to 3 miles away in the 2100 block of Glendon Avenue.
Los Angeles City Fire officials said one person on board the aircraft was killed. It was not immediately known how many people were on the plane.
No injuries were reported. The residence was not damaged, nor were any other structures. A tall tree could be seen with its canopy burned.
Several eyewitnesses watched as the plane came down, and cellphone video was taken moments after the crash as the plane turned into a giant fireball.
"It sounded like, almost, not a bomb but almost like a large gunshot, it was like a slam," said witness Amanda Zalameda.
Luis Martin Del Campo, who also witnessed the crash, hailed the pilot.
"He's a hero in my eyes, and I hope that everyone else can recognize that because if not, I could have gotten hurt, everybody else could have gone hurt."
The plane is reportedly registered to a Santa Monica resident. Neither the pilot nor the make or model of the plane has been identified, although there were reports that the plane was a single-engine Cessna 210.
The cause of the crash was under investigation bythe Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
plane crash, westside, faa, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 1 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 7 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 57 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role