Los Angeles News
Mother arrested for leaving babies in hot car while she shopped in Cudahy
CUDAHY, Calif. (KABC) -- A 1-year-old boy and his 2-week-old sister had to be rescued from a hot parked car while their mother was shopping, authorities said Saturday.
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were called to a shopping center parking lot in the 7900 block of Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy around 12:30 p.m. and found two children in baby seats inside a locked car with no adults present. Deputies estimated the children had been there for about 25 minutes with the outside temperature at about 92 degrees.
"I estimated the inside of the vehicle to be about 110-115 degrees," Deputy Pedro Mejia said. "The window was partially cracked. I stuck my arm in and unlocked the car and pulled the children out."
Deputies said the children were hot and moist to the touch. They were placed in the air-conditioned patrol car until paramedics arrived to render aid.
The mother, 18-year-old Arely Amaya, arrived a short time later and was arrested for child endangerment. Deputies said she had been shopping at a nearby store.
The children were transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where they were listed in stable condition.
arrest, child abuse, los angeles news
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach 32 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds