Los Angeles News
Mother arrested for leaving babies in hot car while she shopped in Cudahy
CUDAHY, Calif. (KABC) -- A 1-year-old boy and his 2-week-old sister had to be rescued from a hot parked car while their mother was shopping, authorities said Saturday.
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were called to a shopping center parking lot in the 7900 block of Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy around 12:30 p.m. and found two children in baby seats inside a locked car with no adults present. Deputies estimated the children had been there for about 25 minutes with the outside temperature at about 92 degrees.
"I estimated the inside of the vehicle to be about 110-115 degrees," Deputy Pedro Mejia said. "The window was partially cracked. I stuck my arm in and unlocked the car and pulled the children out."
Deputies said the children were hot and moist to the touch. They were placed in the air-conditioned patrol car until paramedics arrived to render aid.
The mother, 18-year-old Arely Amaya, arrived a short time later and was arrested for child endangerment. Deputies said she had been shopping at a nearby store.
The children were transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where they were listed in stable condition.
arrest, child abuse, los angeles news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat 1 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 59 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 57 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 47 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks