Los Angeles News
Mother arrested for leaving babies in hot car while she shopped in Cudahy
CUDAHY, Calif. (KABC) -- A 1-year-old boy and his 2-week-old sister had to be rescued from a hot parked car while their mother was shopping, authorities said Saturday.
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were called to a shopping center parking lot in the 7900 block of Atlantic Avenue in Cudahy around 12:30 p.m. and found two children in baby seats inside a locked car with no adults present. Deputies estimated the children had been there for about 25 minutes with the outside temperature at about 92 degrees.
"I estimated the inside of the vehicle to be about 110-115 degrees," Deputy Pedro Mejia said. "The window was partially cracked. I stuck my arm in and unlocked the car and pulled the children out."
Deputies said the children were hot and moist to the touch. They were placed in the air-conditioned patrol car until paramedics arrived to render aid.
The mother, 18-year-old Arely Amaya, arrived a short time later and was arrested for child endangerment. Deputies said she had been shopping at a nearby store.
The children were transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where they were listed in stable condition.
arrest, child abuse, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 15 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 3 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 6 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 24 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 41 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 17 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 58 min ago