Los Angeles News
Controversial South Gate school finally opens
SOUTH GATE, Calif. (KABC) -- South Region High School No. 9 has finally opened after decades of controversy and delay. It's become one of the most expensive high schools ever built, and even the superintendent resigned over the controversy.
Hundreds of millions of dollars and 25 years of planning went into South Region High School No. 9.
"It's really clean," said student Antonett Flores.
Parents like the new campus, too, and some are hoping it will give their kids a better chance in life.
"I actually (saw) the classes that they have here, and I like that," said mother Monica Ragel. "I like that because I want her to come up to be something in life."
The school is actually three high schools in one, each serving a different type of pupil.
"We all offer the A through G high school graduation requirements, but in addition to that, we offer specialized focus on electives," said Principal Carla Barrera-Ortiz.
The school is a little difficult to find: It's right in the middle of heavy industry, and that's part of the reason why it took so long to build. The soil turned out to be contaminated.
"The actual construction of the school is somewhere around $70 million plus, and the cost of the land was a small fraction of that, but the cleanup, that's what gets very, very expensive," said South Gate Mayor W.H. De Witt.
Mounds of dirt are still sitting in a lot across from the campus. Once it's all cleaned up, the site will be used for playing fields.
Finishing the work will close the book on one of Los Angeles Unified School District's most costly and controversial projects.
school, lausd, los angeles news, john gregory
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event