Los Angeles News
'Suspicious death' in Chatsworth deemed murder; 911 caller detained
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police determined Friday a woman was murdered after her body was discovered Thursday in a bungalow in Chatsworth. A suspect has also been detained.
"We've talked to numerous individuals, we've gained a lot of physical evidence and we've concluded that this is a homicide investigation," said LAPD Capt. Kris Pitcher.
The woman's body was found inside a home near Topanga Canyon Boulevard and Santa Susana Pass Road at about 6:45 p.m. Thursday. A roommate reportedly found the body and alerted authorities. Police initially deemed her death suspicious.
They said the victim had wounds on her body described as defensive-type wounds, as if she were fighting off an attacker.
"She was found deceased in one of the out buildings, it is a bungalow-type residence," said Pitcher.
Police also revealed more details about the suspect.
"The man who called 911 is now the man who was detained, is now being arrested and will be charged with the murder," said Pitcher.
Search dogs were brought in Friday afternoon to comb the area after mounds of overturned dirt were discovered. Detectives worried there could be other victims, but ultimately found no such evidence.
Police also towed away a vehicle from the area Friday afternoon. They would only say it is connected to the case but won't say if it belongs to the suspect.
The incident has shaken nearby residents.
"It's really bizarre, scary. I'm frightened. I have a daughter. It's just too close to home," said a neighbor who wanted to be identified as "Cat."
The victim's identity has not been made public, but authorities say she's between 22 and 32 years old.
body found, los angeles news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 32 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 13 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 30 min ago