Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Olympics bid to be pushed by Councilman Tom LaBonge
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles City Councilman Tom LaBonge is set to call on a California committee to bid to host a future Olympics.
An aide to LaBonge said the councilman will introduce a motion during Friday's City Council meeting calling on the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games to "explore a future bid."
There is no word on which games he's set his sights on, but 2032 is being floated as a possibility.
That would be 100 years since the city hosted its first Olympic games.
The move could mean a big economic boost to the area. Los Angeles was home to the games in 1984 and 1932.
los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 50 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 55 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role