Los Angeles News
Resort surveillance video reviewed in case of missing Palos Verdes diver
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- An expert diver is missing after going for a weekend dive off the coast of Palos Verdes. Friday investigators were hunting for more clues.
A new development in the search for 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss: Los Angeles County sheriff's officials confirmed Friday that detectives are reviewing video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly had gone snorkeling.
Vilma Causey, Weiss's mother, says she is still holding out hope that her daughter is alive.
Rebecca Weiss was reported missing on Saturday by her husband of 20 years, Alan Weiss. He told investigators that his wife left their home in Marina Del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to go snorkeling.
When she didn't return home, Alan drove to Terranea and found her abandoned SUV in a parking lot. And he says he found her diving bag near a walkway. But Rebecca's family is skeptical about why she would leave her bag so far from the beach.
Thursday, Rebecca's family posted fliers in hopes someone might have seen her. But no one has come forward.
Homicide detectives with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department interviewed Alan Weiss in person Thursday, but they say he is not considered a person on interest, and the case is still being handled as a missing-persons case.
Alan has refused to do interviews with media. Vilma says he hasn't spoken to her son-in-law either.
Friends and family are planning a rally Saturday morning at 9 at City Hall in Rancho Palos Verdes, where they plan to distribute more fliers.
Rebecca Weiss is described as Asian, 5 feet 5 inches tall, about 115 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information about the case shoudl contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at (323) 890-5500.
missing person, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 10 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 7 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings 43 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis