Los Angeles News
Resort surveillance video reviewed in case of missing Palos Verdes diver
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- An expert diver is missing after going for a weekend dive off the coast of Palos Verdes. Friday investigators were hunting for more clues.
A new development in the search for 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss: Los Angeles County sheriff's officials confirmed Friday that detectives are reviewing video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly had gone snorkeling.
Vilma Causey, Weiss's mother, says she is still holding out hope that her daughter is alive.
Rebecca Weiss was reported missing on Saturday by her husband of 20 years, Alan Weiss. He told investigators that his wife left their home in Marina Del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to go snorkeling.
When she didn't return home, Alan drove to Terranea and found her abandoned SUV in a parking lot. And he says he found her diving bag near a walkway. But Rebecca's family is skeptical about why she would leave her bag so far from the beach.
Thursday, Rebecca's family posted fliers in hopes someone might have seen her. But no one has come forward.
Homicide detectives with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department interviewed Alan Weiss in person Thursday, but they say he is not considered a person on interest, and the case is still being handled as a missing-persons case.
Alan has refused to do interviews with media. Vilma says he hasn't spoken to her son-in-law either.
Friends and family are planning a rally Saturday morning at 9 at City Hall in Rancho Palos Verdes, where they plan to distribute more fliers.
Rebecca Weiss is described as Asian, 5 feet 5 inches tall, about 115 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information about the case shoudl contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at (323) 890-5500.
missing person, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 47 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors