Los Angeles News
Manhattan Beach robber brandishes shotgun, slashes clerk's throat
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Manhattan Beach police are looking for the man who robbed a smoke shop and slashed the clerk's throat.
It was all caught on camera at about 4 p.m. Thursday at the Cigar and Smoke Shop at the intersection of Artesia and Aviation boulevards.
In the footage, the man is seen walking into the store with a long cardboard box. He strikes up a conversation with the clerk, then suddenly pulls out a shotgun from that box, points it at the clerk and ushers him to the back of the store.
Authorities say the suspect handcuffed the worker then returned to the front of the store and took all the money from the cash register. Police said that's when the suspect returned to the back of the store, took out a knife and slit the worker's throat.
According to investigators, that worker was able to dial 911 after the attack. He was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. He was reported in stable condition and expected to recover.
The suspect is described as a black man in his 30s with a thin build, a light mustache and short hair. If caught, he will be charged with robbery and attempted murder.
If you have any information about this case, you're urged to call Manhattan Beach Police at (310) 802-5140.
stabbing, robbery, los angeles news, q mccray
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 54 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 48 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 44 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event