Los Angeles News
Body found off Palos Verdes coast confirmed as missing diver Rebecca Weiss
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a body was recovered off the coast of Palos Verdes Saturday near to where a diver went missing a week ago. The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed Saturday night the recovered body is Rebecca Weiss.
Recreational divers discovered the body off the coast Saturday morning near the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in the general area where 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss disappeared last week.
The divers notified authorities and sheriff's department divers recovered the body at about 11:30 a.m. The body had snorkeling gear and was wearing a wetsuit.
An autopsy was scheduled for next week.
Weiss was reported missing Saturday, Aug. 11, by her husband, Alan Weiss. He told authorities that she left their home in Marina del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to do some diving.
When she did not return, he drove to her favorite beach and found her abandoned SUV with her diving equipment in a parking lot near the shoreline.
Friday, investigators were back out searching for clues and reviewed video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly planned to go snorkeling.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 11 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 17 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role