Los Angeles News
Body found off Palos Verdes coast confirmed as missing diver Rebecca Weiss
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a body was recovered off the coast of Palos Verdes Saturday near to where a diver went missing a week ago. The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed Saturday night the recovered body is Rebecca Weiss.
Recreational divers discovered the body off the coast Saturday morning near the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in the general area where 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss disappeared last week.
The divers notified authorities and sheriff's department divers recovered the body at about 11:30 a.m. The body had snorkeling gear and was wearing a wetsuit.
An autopsy was scheduled for next week.
Weiss was reported missing Saturday, Aug. 11, by her husband, Alan Weiss. He told authorities that she left their home in Marina del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to do some diving.
When she did not return, he drove to her favorite beach and found her abandoned SUV with her diving equipment in a parking lot near the shoreline.
Friday, investigators were back out searching for clues and reviewed video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly planned to go snorkeling.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2