Los Angeles News
Body found off Palos Verdes coast confirmed as missing diver Rebecca Weiss
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a body was recovered off the coast of Palos Verdes Saturday near to where a diver went missing a week ago. The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed Saturday night the recovered body is Rebecca Weiss.
Recreational divers discovered the body off the coast Saturday morning near the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in the general area where 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss disappeared last week.
The divers notified authorities and sheriff's department divers recovered the body at about 11:30 a.m. The body had snorkeling gear and was wearing a wetsuit.
An autopsy was scheduled for next week.
Weiss was reported missing Saturday, Aug. 11, by her husband, Alan Weiss. He told authorities that she left their home in Marina del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to do some diving.
When she did not return, he drove to her favorite beach and found her abandoned SUV with her diving equipment in a parking lot near the shoreline.
Friday, investigators were back out searching for clues and reviewed video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly planned to go snorkeling.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 55 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley 6 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert