Los Angeles News
Body found off Palos Verdes coast confirmed as missing diver Rebecca Weiss
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a body was recovered off the coast of Palos Verdes Saturday near to where a diver went missing a week ago. The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed Saturday night the recovered body is Rebecca Weiss.
Recreational divers discovered the body off the coast Saturday morning near the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in the general area where 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss disappeared last week.
The divers notified authorities and sheriff's department divers recovered the body at about 11:30 a.m. The body had snorkeling gear and was wearing a wetsuit.
An autopsy was scheduled for next week.
Weiss was reported missing Saturday, Aug. 11, by her husband, Alan Weiss. He told authorities that she left their home in Marina del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to do some diving.
When she did not return, he drove to her favorite beach and found her abandoned SUV with her diving equipment in a parking lot near the shoreline.
Friday, investigators were back out searching for clues and reviewed video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly planned to go snorkeling.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut