Los Angeles News
ABC7 photographer Artie Williams III remembered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Friends and colleagues around the Southland were devastated to learn about the death of Artie Williams III on Sunday. Day after day, year after year, it was his photographic eye that created countless images on Eyewitness News.
To know Artie was to know you had a good friend for life.
"As bleak as many media rooms can be, you could always count on one bright light. I knew that I was always going to get a smile, I was always going to get a pleasant word, and frankly, I'm going to miss that," said L.A. Times columnist T.J. Simers.
Artie joined the Eyewitness News team in 1982. In his 30 years with ABC7, there was one constant - his heart. It was as big as Dodger Stadium.
"In a business where you sharpen your elbows and your words, Artie was a friend, a happy face," said Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports.
Artie's passion for sports rivaled a child's passion for fun. On Monday, the Los Angeles Kings said their first media guide since winning the Stanley Cup would be dedicated to Artie Williams III.
Los Angeles Lakers spokesman John Black, who has been with the team for 22 years, said, "I am very sad about it. Artie was such a great guy, always enthusiastic, friendly, and in a good mood. All of us here who worked with him, as well as his fellow media members, will miss him."
"He loved the Lakers. I mean, he loved all sports," said Stan Radford, ABC7 senior sports producer. "He talked about the Lakers possibly winning another championship and the trades that were made."
Los Angeles City Councilman Bernard Parks said Tuesday's council meeting would adjourn in memory of Artie.
"An amazing number of people knew him and loved him," said Arnold J. Kleiner, ABC7 president and general manager.
"Artie was the one, the glue, that connected so many kinds of people, so many folks," said ABC7 photographer E.Don Smith. "It's going to be a loss."
los angeles news, curt sandoval
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 9 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 10 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 22 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 6 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
33 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
32 min ago