Los Angeles News
SoCal tennis umpire arrested in NYC for murder of husband
WOODLAND HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A 70-year-old professional tennis lines umpire from Southern California was arrested on Tuesday in New York City for allegedly killing her husband.
Lois Goodman has been charged with the murder of her 80-year-old husband, Alan Frederick Goodman, at their Woodland Hills home in April. Prosecutors say the weapon was a coffee mug.
"We believe that there was some sort of an argument," said LAPD Lt. Dave Storaker. "How that argument ensued and who had witnessed that argument, that's something that we'd like to hear from a lot of people."
Investigators say Lois Goodman looked stunned when she was arrested at her hotel in New York City at 7:45 a.m., where she was preparing to serve as a referee for the U.S. Open.
Authorities say Lois Goodman called police to the couple's home in the 20000 block of Oxnard Street on April 17. She told them she had returned from a tennis tournament and found her husband dead. She said at the time that she believed her husband had suffered a heart attack and had fallen down the stairs.
But investigators ruled the circumstances suspicious and began a lengthy investigation.
"The autopsy revealed that Mr. Goodman suffered multiple stab wounds, and we ruled the case homicide," said Ed Winter, asst. chief of the L.A. County Coroner's Office.
Prosecutors believe Lois Goodman bludgeoned her husband to death with a coffee mug.
Lois Goodman has been a tennis umpire for 30 years and has worked for the U.S. Open for at least 10 years. She has served as an official at tennis tournaments around the world. At the time of her arrest, she was preparing to referee a qualifying U.S. Open round.
She is being held in a Manhattan jail pending extradition to L.A. She was expected to arrive in L.A. in the next 10 days.
arrest, stabbing, murder, los angeles news, leanne suter
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 58 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Deliveryman fatally shot in South Los Angeles 5 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 38 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 41 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 48 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
1 min ago