Los Angeles News
Struggling Southern California homeowners may get refinancing help
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa met Wednesday to discuss how refinancing at today's historically low interest rates would help responsible California homeowners who are underwater on their mortgage.
So-called underwater mortgages are when borrowers owe more than their homes are worth. Feinstein has authored one of three bills to help homeowners refinance at the current lower home mortgage rates.
"There are 1.1 million homeowners who are eligible for this program in California and we believe 800,000 of them are in Southern California," Feinstein said.
The Feinstein bill would let homeowners refinance who are current on their mortgages, their loan doesn't exceed 140 percent of the value and they meet a minimum credit score on their principal residence.
"Ninety percent of underwater homeowners are current on their loan and are locked out through no fault in their own from benefiting from the lowest interest rates on a 30-year loan in the history of the country," Donovan said.
The legislation would be financed through a 0.1 percent increase on fees paid by mortgage lenders.
"This does not impact the deficit and the debt, and so all the folks who talk about cutting and just want to focus on eviscerating the safety net, there is really no reason not to be for this," Villaraigosa said.
Feinstein's bill was only recently introduced in the Senate. It's too early to assess how much support the bill will or will not get.
real estate, housing market, finance, los angeles news, john north
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack 26 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 38 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer 22 min ago
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
11 min ago