Los Angeles News
LA close to banning sale of 'puppy mill' dogs
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Should there be a ban on the sale of so-called "puppy mill" dogs in Los Angeles? The city council will take up a measure to stop the sale of commercially bred dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores.
A proposal on pet sales would require stores in Los Angeles to obtain their dogs and cats from shelters or animal protection agencies.
City Councilman Paul Koretz chairs L.A.'s animal welfare committee, which voted 3-0 on Wednesday in support of the ban on commercially bred pets.
"Puppy mill-bred animals that are bred in terrible conditions often have severe health problems and just add to the number of animals in our shelters and the number of animals euthanized," Koretz said. "I won't be part of the problem anymore."
But even supporters of the ban admit it will be almost impossible to enforce.
"I question creating new laws when our animal regulations department has been reduced so greatly," said Councilman Richard Alarcon.
Ira Lippman runs Peggy Wood's Pet Emporium in Burbank, where a similar ordinance will go before city council next month.
"We don't support substandard kennels," Lippman said. He says people should have a choice when it comes to buying a pet.
L.A.'s proposed ordinance will go before the full council sometime next month and is expected to pass.
animal news, los angeles news, robert holguin
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 1 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 3 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)