Los Angeles News
Manhattan Beach robbery suspect arrested
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man suspected in an armed robbery and attempted murder at a Manhattan Beach tobacco shop was arrested Thursday night.
Tyler Rodgers, 18, was located hiding in a garage at 7222 Crenshaw Boulevard at 11:30 p.m. He was arrested without incident by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Major Crimes Bureau Surveillance and Apprehension Team.
Rodgers was hiding with a 16-year-old female runaway believed to be his girlfriend, according to the Manhattan Beach Police Dept.
Rodgers was held on charges of robbery, attempted murder and kidnapping. His bail was set at $1 million. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday. Rodgers was already on probation for robbery.
The robbery and attempted murder took place Thursday afternoon, and much of it was caught on surveillance camera.
At about 4 p.m., a suspect who fits Rodgers' description walked into the Cigar and Smoke Shop at the intersection of Artesia and Aviation boulevards.
In the footage, the suspect is seen carrying a long cardboard box. He suddenly pulls out a shotgun from that box, points it at the clerk and ushers him to the back of the store. Police said the suspect handcuffed the clerk, took money from the register and then slit the employee's throat. That clerk was rushed to emergency surgery. He survived his injury.
The suspect was described as a young black man with a thin build, light mustache and short hair.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact the Manhattan Beach Police Dept. at (310) 802-5170.
stabbing, robbery, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)