Los Angeles News
Manhattan Beach robbery suspect arrested
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man suspected in an armed robbery and attempted murder at a Manhattan Beach tobacco shop was arrested Thursday night.
Tyler Rodgers, 18, was located hiding in a garage at 7222 Crenshaw Boulevard at 11:30 p.m. He was arrested without incident by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Major Crimes Bureau Surveillance and Apprehension Team.
Rodgers was hiding with a 16-year-old female runaway believed to be his girlfriend, according to the Manhattan Beach Police Dept.
Rodgers was held on charges of robbery, attempted murder and kidnapping. His bail was set at $1 million. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday. Rodgers was already on probation for robbery.
The robbery and attempted murder took place Thursday afternoon, and much of it was caught on surveillance camera.
At about 4 p.m., a suspect who fits Rodgers' description walked into the Cigar and Smoke Shop at the intersection of Artesia and Aviation boulevards.
In the footage, the suspect is seen carrying a long cardboard box. He suddenly pulls out a shotgun from that box, points it at the clerk and ushers him to the back of the store. Police said the suspect handcuffed the clerk, took money from the register and then slit the employee's throat. That clerk was rushed to emergency surgery. He survived his injury.
The suspect was described as a young black man with a thin build, light mustache and short hair.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact the Manhattan Beach Police Dept. at (310) 802-5170.
stabbing, robbery, los angeles news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 29 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 47 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)