Los Angeles News
Missing Downey girl reunited with mother
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A missing girl from Downey has been reunited with her mother, and her accused abductor is being questioned by police.
Authorities say the suspect, identified as Kailei Valdivia, told the girl's mother that she was going to the store with the girl, Stephanie Hartzell, at about 6 p.m. Monday, but they never returned home. The mother contacted police at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Police say Valdivia, 42, was temporarily living with Stephanie and her mother. She told detectives it was all a misunderstanding. The mother says she had no right to keep her child overnight.
Valdivia met with police at a park in Norwalk just before 5 p.m., where she returned the child.
missing person, kidnap, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 46 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 17 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks