Los Angeles News
Missing Downey girl reunited with mother
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A missing girl from Downey has been reunited with her mother, and her accused abductor is being questioned by police.
Authorities say the suspect, identified as Kailei Valdivia, told the girl's mother that she was going to the store with the girl, Stephanie Hartzell, at about 6 p.m. Monday, but they never returned home. The mother contacted police at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
Police say Valdivia, 42, was temporarily living with Stephanie and her mother. She told detectives it was all a misunderstanding. The mother says she had no right to keep her child overnight.
Valdivia met with police at a park in Norwalk just before 5 p.m., where she returned the child.
missing person, kidnap, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'