Los Angeles News
'Meatball' the bear captured in Glendale, sent to sanctuary
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- "Meatball" the bear, who became a local celebrity for his frequent visits to the foothill areas and love for the food of the same name, will no longer be making appearances.
Department of Fish and Game officials said they captured the 400-pound black bear in Glendale on Wednesday morning and transported him to an animal sanctuary in Alpine in San Diego County.
Officials said they heard Meatball had been seen in the La Canada-Flintridge area and decided to capture him. They said they used a culvert trap baited with bacon and honey. He took the bait about 4 a.m.
"As a wildlife agency our goal is always to keep animals wild but in this case the best interest of the bear was to capture and relocate him to a safe and secure facility," said DFG Information Officer Andrew Hughan.
"At this time the bear is safe and secure and resting comfortably," the DFG press release said.
In La Crescenta on Tuesday morning, resident Gini McLoud captured Meatball on her cellphone camera as he strolled through her backyard.
"He wasn't the least bit in a rush," she said about the bear whose become a familiar figure in the foothill neighborhoods. "He stopped, made eye contact with us and kept walking by us."
The visit was believed to be Meatball's third to the La Crescenta neighborhood off Canyonside Road. The last time in mid-July, he was spotted napping in a tree. The DFG sedated the bear and took him deep into the Angeles National Forest.
Meatball has gotten so popular, someone created a Twitter account in his name.
animal news, los angeles news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 22 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 54 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 38 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
39 min ago