Los Angeles News
LAPD investigates woman's in-custody death
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Just one day after police officers were disciplined in an alleged use of force incident, the Los Angeles Police Department has a woman's in-custody death investigation on its hands.
LAPD officers went to an apartment building on the 9000 block of Broadway on July 22 after two children were found abandoned at a police station.
A neighbor says he saw two LAPD officers struggle with the children's mother, 35-year-old Alesia Thomas, outside her apartment.
The LAPD claims Thomas continued to resist arrest outside. Additional officers arrived and one officer took her to the ground to gain control of her. According to the Los Angeles Times, a female officer threatened to kick Thomas in the genitals if she did not cooperate and allegedly followed through on the threat. Thomas was handcuffed and placed in a squad car.
Authorities say that's when the officers noticed Thomas wasn't breathing and paramedics were called. Thomas died at a hospital.
In a statement, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said:
"I take all in-custody death investigations very seriously and directed that the officers involved be removed from field duties until further details are known."
The LAPD plans to hold a news conference on the incident on Friday.
lapd, los angeles news, amy powell
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 44 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis 8 min ago
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 24 min ago
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors 9 min ago
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 57 min ago
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film