Los Angeles News
Critical Mass cyclist killed after crashing into wall on UCLA campus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A bicyclist, who was part of a Critical Mass ride, was killed after he crashed into a wall on the University of California, Los Angeles campus.
The accident happened at about 10 p.m. Friday at Charles E. Young and De Neve drives. Authorities say Jerico Culata lost control of his bike while riding down a steep hill. The 18-year-old was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Critical Mass is an international event that takes place on the last Friday of every month in hundreds of cities around the world. The purpose is to show support for several causes such as clean air and safer roads.
Participants of Friday's ride say the steep road and sharp turn were difficult to maneuver, especially for riders who weren't familiar with the area.
"A lot of people aren't from around here, so they didn't know that it was a hill going and it was just a quick stop. You had to turn, so some of them just took the hill all the way down without having brakes and knowing where to go," said witness Jose Barbarena.
Three other bike riders were hurt in separate crashes. Two female riders were taken to the hospital, but their conditions were not known.
The fatal crash remains under investigation. Participants of the ride said it's a trend for cyclists to have bikes without brakes and believe that may have been a contributing factor in the accident.
accident, los angeles news, darsha philips
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 15 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 27 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 7 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler