Los Angeles News
Critical Mass cyclist killed after crashing into wall on UCLA campus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A bicyclist, who was part of a Critical Mass ride, was killed after he crashed into a wall on the University of California, Los Angeles campus.
The accident happened at about 10 p.m. Friday at Charles E. Young and De Neve drives. Authorities say Jerico Culata lost control of his bike while riding down a steep hill. The 18-year-old was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Critical Mass is an international event that takes place on the last Friday of every month in hundreds of cities around the world. The purpose is to show support for several causes such as clean air and safer roads.
Participants of Friday's ride say the steep road and sharp turn were difficult to maneuver, especially for riders who weren't familiar with the area.
"A lot of people aren't from around here, so they didn't know that it was a hill going and it was just a quick stop. You had to turn, so some of them just took the hill all the way down without having brakes and knowing where to go," said witness Jose Barbarena.
Three other bike riders were hurt in separate crashes. Two female riders were taken to the hospital, but their conditions were not known.
The fatal crash remains under investigation. Participants of the ride said it's a trend for cyclists to have bikes without brakes and believe that may have been a contributing factor in the accident.
accident, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut