Los Angeles News
Marines arrested in possible hate-crime incident in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Four Camp Pendleton Marines were arrested for allegedly beating a gay man outside a Long Beach bar. The incident is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
Authorities responded to the area of 4th Street and Redondo Avenue at 2 a.m. Monday. Police said the Marines assaulted a man outside the Silver Fox Bar.
According to investigators, the Marines hurled derogatory terms at a patron from the bar and assaulted him on the sidewalk. The injuries landed the victim in the hospital overnight.
Bar employee Charlie Harris said he came to the victim's aid when he saw one of the Marines confronting the man.
"The guy was just yelling at him, and his friend was trying to get him to leave and he was bent on fighting. He was out for blood," said Harris.
According to Harris, the Marines targeted the victim because he was gay.
"I heard a lot of talk about like, 'Do you like guys?'" said Harris.
Long Beach Police Cmdr. Joe Stilinovich said the Marines, identified as Lance Cpl. Lewis Serna, Lance Cpl. John O'Leary, Private First Class Thomas Pentek and Private First Class Sean Miller, posted bail on Tuesday.
"Any crime that is determined to be a hate crime is extremely egregious and will be investigated fully by the Long Beach Police Department," said Stilinovich.
The Marine Corps said it will also be investigating the incident.
"We are currently gathering all of the details to ensure we have a full-understanding of this incident," it said in a statement. "We are cooperating with local law enforcement officials in Long Beach with their investigation; we will also be conducting our own investigation as well."
Anyone with information was urged to call the Long Beach Police Department at (562) 570-7250.
hate crime, long beach, arrest, fight, los angeles news, jovana lara
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 1 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 25 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)