Los Angeles News
El Monte lifeguards fired over 'Gangnam Style' video
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of lifeguards in El Monte has been fired after making a video featuring Korean pop singer PSY's popular hit, "Gangnam Style."
According to the lifeguards, they thought the video would be a fun way to do something to remember the summer by, since they were getting ready to return to school.
The city of El Monte says it wasn't the content of the video that led to the lifeguards and pool manager getting fired. Instead, it had to do with what the city calls the unauthorized use of a city facility for the groups' private benefit.
In a written statement to Eyewitness News, the city said:
"There was a clear unauthorized use of city resources and property, including the use of city issued uniforms during the making of this unauthorized video. The city maintains that it holds all employees to a higher standard."
"I got in trouble because I was the manager and they wanted me to be the eyes and ears of what was happening and I was, I did my job, it's just because this mistake that I made, that I didn't think it was a bad thing, I lost my job," said former pool manager Gabriel Gonzalez.
The lifeguards say 13 of the 14 fired are college students, and the job helped pay for their education.
"To be blunt, this was my only job and my only source of income in terms of paying for books and contributing to my schooling. So as of right now I guess I'll be back on the job hunt and I don't even know if I'm going to get any good recommendations now with this going on," said former lifeguard Michael Roa.
los angeles news, sid garcia
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 27 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role