Los Angeles News
Suspect at large following high-speed police pursuit
PACOIMA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A high-speed pursuit ended in the San Fernando Valley on Monday evening when the suspected driver bailed out on foot and managed to evade being captured by authorities.
California Highway Patrol officers were in high-speed pursuit of an SUV in the San Fernando Valley.
The pursuit originated on the westbound 210 Freeway in the Claremont area. Officers said they attempted to stop the vehicle because of its tinted windows, but later revealed the suspect was wanted for a drug-dealing violation.
The vehicle fled from officers. The vehicle was believed to contain three occupants, two males and one female. Speeds reached 95 mph at times.
The pursuit began on freeways and moved to surface streets in Pacoima and Arleta. The vehicle appeared to be a maroon Chevrolet Avalanche SUV with after-market designer rims.
The female is thought to have bailed out of the vehicle at some point in Arleta.
An officer attempted to use a spike strip to disable the SUV's tires, but the strip appears to have missed. The vehicle then traveled eastbound on Nordhoff from Van Nuys in Panorama City.
A second passenger bailed out of the car in Arleta, was immediately chased on foot by officers and was caught. The male driver was believed to be the remaining occupant.
CHP and LAPD aircraft were monitoring the pursuit from the air.
The driver bailed out on foot in a Pacoima alleyway at 5:53 p.m. Officers immediately began securing a perimeter around the area of Sunburst Street near Osborne Street and Laurel Canyon Boulevard.
Authorities spent several hours combing the neighborhood, but the search was called off by 9 p.m.
"Unfortunately, tonight, we didn't get him," said LAPD Capt. Stephen Carmona. "We don't believe he's in this contained area."
Police said the vehicle was registered to an address in Arleta.
pursuit, california highway patrol, lapd, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 37 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere