Los Angeles News
Charter school debate goes before LAUSD
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A showdown over charter schools went before the Los Angeles Unified School District on Tuesday. Some want tighter restrictions, but others argue it would violate state law.
The school board did not take any action on the proposal, but a revised version was expected to go before the board in October.
The LAUSD is the second largest school district in the country and has the most charter schools nationally at around 200 enrolling about 110,000 students. The district will take a look at a proposal that would declare a moratorium on new schools and tighten oversight of existing ones.
To do so, a measure would be introduced to form an independent charter oversight commission that would step up monitoring and would put a hold on new charter applications until new policies are hammered out.
Board members have shown increasing frustration with requests by charter schools to use more classroom space on district campuses, and refusals by charters to submit student data and the low enrollment of students with severe disabilities.
Charter school supporters say a moratorium would violate the Charter School Act and noted that 10,000 students are on charter school waiting lists in the LAUSD. Opponents of the proposal say this is a very serious challenge to one of the most successful school reform efforts of the last 20 years.
For the past year, several charter schools were closed by the district for financial irregularities, a cheating scandal and lackluster performance.
lausd, los angeles news
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 8 min ago
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director 54 min ago
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7 57 min ago
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- 13-year-old leads wild police chase in Iowa
20 min ago
- Nathan Fillion spending summer on big screen
27 min ago