Los Angeles News
LAPD pursuit ends in assault-rifle shootout with murder suspect
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A possible murder suspect armed with an assault rifle led authorities on a wild chase through the downtown Los Angeles area Tuesday. The pursuit came to an end when the suspect was shot by officers and subdued by a police K-9 at a busy intersection.
No officers or civilians were struck during the gun battle.
Los Angeles police said the pursuit began about 6 p.m. near Sunset Boulevard and Rosemont Street in Echo Park. Officers said they received a LoJack tip about a stolen vehicle in North Hollywood.
The suspect, described only as a white male, was wanted for a July homicide in the Rampart area, police said. They did not identify the suspect.
Driving a white two-door car, the suspect struck at least one car and almost hit pedestrians in a crosswalk as he drove erratically through the downtown, Echo Park, Westlake and Silver Lake areas. He frequently blew through red lights, maneuvered into oncoming traffic and cut through gas stations.
As officers gave chase, the driver came to the intersection of Bixel and 7th streets near Staples Center, where he collided with another car as they moved through the intersection.
The suspect stumbled out of the car carrying what appeared to be a rifle. The suspect appeared to fire several shots before he was downed by police gunfire. Officers surrounded the suspect with high-powered firearms but kept their distance as the man was on the ground, the rifle next to him within reach.
A police K-9 was sent to subdue the suspect and officers moved in.WATCH VIDEO: Armed murder suspect shoots at police
It appeared the suspect was alive. He was placed in the back of an ambulance.
LAPD officials said the suspect's brother was shot dead by officers two years ago in September. Similarly to Tuesday's incident, that suspect was in a stolen vehicle, got out and shot at officers with an AK-47 before being fatally struck by police.
CORRECTION: It was earlier reported the suspect fired an AK-47 assault rifle. LAPD reports the suspect fired an assault rifle, but it was not an AK-47.
pursuit, lapd, shooting, officer-involved shooting, downtown, echo park, los angeles news
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road 34 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton 12 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
25 min ago