Los Angeles News
Pursuit suspect out of surgery, in hospital after police shootout
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A murder suspect remains hospitalized Wednesday after a wild pursuit through downtown Los Angeles during rush-hour traffic that ended in a shootout with police.
Authorities said the suspect underwent surgery and was reported in stable condition.
The suspect was identified as 24-year-old Ian Schlesinger. His brother, Jack Schlesinger, was killed by police two years ago in a similar pursuit that also ended in a shootout.
The incident started when the suspect allegedly stole a car at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon in Studio City. Police say the chase began near Sunset Boulevard and Rosemont Street in Echo Park after they received a LoJack tip about a stolen vehicle. From there, the suspect wove in and out of traffic through the downtown, Westlake, Echo Park and Silver Lake areas.
During the pursuit, officers realized that the man was a suspect wanted in a murder that occurred in July in the Rampart division. LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said officers have been searching for the suspect for over a month.
When the suspect neared Bixel and 7th streets near Staples Center, he collided with another car as both vehicles moved through the intersection. The suspect exited the car carrying an assault rifle. That's when he fired several shots before he was downed by police gunfire. It appears that he was struck in the shoulder.
Bixel and 7th streets and surrounding areas were shut off for police investigation Wednesday morning and was set to reopen late morning.
pursuit, lapd, shooting, officer-involved shooting, downtown, echo park, los angeles news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 11 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break