Los Angeles News
Pursuit suspect out of surgery, in hospital after police shootout
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A murder suspect remains hospitalized Wednesday after a wild pursuit through downtown Los Angeles during rush-hour traffic that ended in a shootout with police.
Authorities said the suspect underwent surgery and was reported in stable condition.
The suspect was identified as 24-year-old Ian Schlesinger. His brother, Jack Schlesinger, was killed by police two years ago in a similar pursuit that also ended in a shootout.
The incident started when the suspect allegedly stole a car at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon in Studio City. Police say the chase began near Sunset Boulevard and Rosemont Street in Echo Park after they received a LoJack tip about a stolen vehicle. From there, the suspect wove in and out of traffic through the downtown, Westlake, Echo Park and Silver Lake areas.
During the pursuit, officers realized that the man was a suspect wanted in a murder that occurred in July in the Rampart division. LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said officers have been searching for the suspect for over a month.
When the suspect neared Bixel and 7th streets near Staples Center, he collided with another car as both vehicles moved through the intersection. The suspect exited the car carrying an assault rifle. That's when he fired several shots before he was downed by police gunfire. It appears that he was struck in the shoulder.
Bixel and 7th streets and surrounding areas were shut off for police investigation Wednesday morning and was set to reopen late morning.
pursuit, lapd, shooting, officer-involved shooting, downtown, echo park, los angeles news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 33 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood 10 min ago
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10