Los Angeles News
ABC7's Artie Williams honored at Long Beach coastal cleanup event
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A special honor took place over the weekend for an ABC7 colleague who passed away - photojournalist Artie Williams.
Artie died last month while scuba diving off the coast of Catalina Island. He had a big heart and fought tirelessly against marine debris.
Dozens took part in the annual coastal cleanup to honor Artie. Volunteers flocked to the Deep Blue Scuba and Swim Center in Long Beach for the inaugural Underwater Cleanup.
Artie's sister came out to the event, which took place at Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier.
Organizers say underwater cleanups are merely a temporary fix to a long-term problem.
long beach, environment, los angeles news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis