Los Angeles News
Paramount deputy-involved shooting kills suspect
PARAMOUNT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A deputy-involved shooting in Paramount left one suspect dead Monday night. A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy trainee was injured.
Sheriff's homicide detectives were called to the Americana Mobile Home Park on the 16600 block of Downey Avenue in Paramount at about 7:40 p.m. Monday.
Neighbors say it all started with a disturbance that quickly turned violent between a 27-year-old man and his grandfather.
The grandparents called 911. When deputies arrived, the man said he wasn't going back to jail and started fighting with them. Deputies say he even tried to get their gun at one point.
"During the fight, this individual tried to choke out the deputy, struck the deputy and he tried to get the deputy's gun," said Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. "Sometime during that fight, the struggle over the deputy's gun, that's when the deputy shot this individual."
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The deputy, who was not struck by gunfire, was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The incident remained under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, south los angeles, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 4 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 39 min ago
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 24 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 27 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book